LinkedIn is the most powerful tool to boost your professional profile. With more than 500 million users LinkedIn will be your go-to point for career advancement and job opportunities. In order to advance your career, you need to make your profile visible in Google search results. Here are a few steps you can take to make your profile visible and get the most out of Linkedin.
#1. Use A Customized Url
LinkedIn provides you the liberty to use a custom URL. This is how you can do it:
- You will find this option at the bottom of your profile header.
- Click on edit to choose your custom URL. Choose a URL with your first and last name.
- If it is not available, use hyphens(-) or numbers to find the most straightforward available URL.
Using your name in the URL optimizes the search results in your favor.
#2. Choose Your Headline
LinkedIn shows your headline next to profile picture. It is the first impression of you on the visitor. The default headline is generic and fails to attract potential employers. Keep the following points in mind while creating your headline:
- Your headline should reflect your expertise in your field.
- It should be brief and eye-catching.
- Show your accolades.
- Show what you do and what you want to do.
A headline increases your visitors hence help improve ranking.
#3. Make Your Profile Public
Keeping your profile will enable visitors to view your profile and stay longer to know more about you. The more visits you get, the better your ranking gets at search engines. You can do that by following these steps:
- After changing your URL, a public display setting is displayed. Turn everything to visible.
- You can also use Edit Visibility section in the right rail, toggle your visibility to On.
You can test your visibility by following steps:
- Log out of your account.
- Go to google to search for “site:linkedin.com first name last name”.
- Search for your profile and ensure your profile is visible.
#4. Update Your Profile Frequently
Frequently add activity to your profile. React to people’s timelines, increased activity on your profile will result in better search ranking. You should update your skills as the LinkedIn profile is your digital resume. Adding detailed content to your profile gives the following advantages:
- Generates more traffic on your profile.
- Visitors are tempted to stay longer on your profile
- Develop professional relations through your profile.
#5. Use Industry Specific Keywords In Job History
Fill out your Job History using the keywords and technical terms used in your job field. This will attract the employers who are looking for the specified skill sets. Recruiters use these exact terms to search for a suitable candidate. This also makes your profile more descriptive and job specific.
#6. Add Slides Using SlideShare
SlideShare is the world’s largest slide hosting platform owned by LinkedIn. Share presentations from LinkedIn to direct traffic to your profile. Keep following points in mind:
- Keep your presentations relevant to your profile.
- Use original content.
- Use slides to exhibit your accolades and career achievements.
#7. Socialize On Linkedin
Use LinkedIn to connect with other professionals in your career field. Receive endorsements and recommendations, endorse and recommend others in return. This will promote your profile and increase traffic to your profile. Use following tips to socialize:
- Add posts relevant to your job profile.
- React to your colleague’s posts and news.
- Share your recent achievements and rewards.
You can join relevant groups and post content regularly.
#8. Attach A Headshot Profile Photo
Add a professional profile photo that should be clear enough to recognize you. Look sharp and shaven.
Use the given tips to get the perfect profile photo:
- Your profile photo gives a visual impression to your visitors.
- Make sure you are looking at the camera in the picture rather than a side profile.
- Dress formally and have a plain background in the picture.
- Avoid big glasses that cover up your face.
#9. Write A Short Description In The Entry Box
Summarize your profile in the description. Give a brief overview of your scholastic achievements and qualifications. Take note of the following tips:
- Keep your summary precise
- Use technical terms to attract suitable employers
- Add your work experience
Promoting your LinkedIn profile will increase the visitors. This increases the chances of being found for the right job. Use the given tips and tricks to improve your ranking and be found in Google search results. Be excited about the whole procedure and stay positive for the whole process. At the end of the day, your enthuse will attract people and open up a gate of opportunities for you. Use the resources available to you to find the right recruiter.